Father Cantalamessa has gathered, and commented on, a comprehensive list of texts on Easter in the early Church, describing how and when Easter and the Passover were celebrated. The texts include those of
- Jewish writers (Exodus 12, Deuteronomy 16, Philo of Alexandria),
- New Testament writers (the Gospel writers, Paul),
- Writers of the second century (Esuebius of Caesarea, Hippolytus of Rome)
- Greek writers (Heracleon, Ptolemy, Melito of Sardis, Irenaeus)
- Syrian writers (Ephraem the Syrian, Cyrillonas)
- And Latin writers (Tertullian, Zeno of Verona, Ambrose of Milan)
to name a few.